Websites are one of the most important marketing tools you can use to help grow your business. Building your company’s website is the first step in creating an online presence. There are many website builder platforms available for small businesses. WordPress, Wix, Squarespace and Weebly are just a few options for low-cost (sometimes free), website builders that are easy for even the tech-challenged to user. Here are some tips to help you get started.
1. Keep it simple. A typical website visitor stays on a site for approximately 15 seconds before bouncing to another page. Make your pages easy to navigate and use white space to allow call-to-action items to stand out. Use category titles that are short and easy to understand. Too many choices or complicated words can frustrate website visitors, which results in them leaving your site before they take action.
2. Demonstrate to website visitors what they can expect from you. Engaging, high-resolution photos draw visitors in, helping them envision themselves on tour with you. Testimonials from satisfied travelers show loyalty and lend credibility to your company. New visitors to your site will be more comfortable and confident knowing that others have had a good experience on your tour. Look for testimonials that are specific about an activity within a tour rather than generic “it was fun” type of comments.
3. Website visitors are using smartphones, laptops and tablets; make sure your site is responsive on all formats. More than half of users consume media using smartphones, and Google reports that 69 percent of users will not return to a website that does not provide a good mobile experience.
4. Connecting and ultimately booking tours are the main objective of your website. Make it easy for visitors by having a dedicated Contact Us section on your website. Include multiple ways for visitors to connect with you. Provide your email, address and phone number in formats that are easy to copy or click to connect. Include your social sites too; integrating these platforms on your website will boost your company’s online presence.
5. Make visitors feel safe, especially throughout the booking process. Secure your site with an SSL certificate that encrypts communications between you and your clients, ensuring content provided is from a verified sender. Options to consider for this feature include VeriSign, Entrust and GeoTrust.
Designing your website with visitors in mind will help boost your tour sales. Continually monitor your website’s activity to determine what features users are engaged with the most. Use what you learn from your visitors to help guide future website improvements.